I considered thinking outside the box for this week, but then my kids had a 3.5-day-weekend and we had company and I am TIRED. So instead I’m going to pick what is probably an über-popular genre, and I’m not going to go into detail on my answers, because the options for this evening are either write a curtailed post, or write nothing at all. YOU’RE WELCOME.
Here we go.
Top Ten Favorite Dystopian Characters
(Also, I understand that some of these are borderline dystopians. I’m going based on what the popular consensus is, even if I personally think some of them tread a little more in sci-fi territory).
10. Zane, Pretties. Did anyone else really like this character? Just me? He actually tried to figure out if there was something more outside the world of the Pretties without being pushed. Tally always needed someone forcing her hand. Zane didn’t. And he was good to her. I know I’m supposed to be all about Tally and David, and in a way, I am, but I just really liked Zane and don’t feel like he gets a lot of love.
9. Rue, The Hunger Games. I can’t talk about Rue or I’ll start crying. Such a sweet character.
8. Tris’ mom, Divergent. I’m supposed to pick Four, right? But seriously, even with her abbreviated page-time, I loved Tris’ mom. Tough, loving, self-sacrificing, forgiving. I wish more YA parents were like her.
7. Hana, Delirium. I haven’t read her novella yet, but she was by far my favorite character in Delirium. Even more than Lena. Shhh, don’t tell anyone.
6. Prince Maxon, The Selection. For me, there is no love triangle. Maxon is the clear winner. Aspen who?
5. Manchee, The Knife of Never Letting Go. He’s a dog, and it doesn’t even matter. Best part of the book.
4. Zeke, The Immortal Rules. I think I have a soft spot for strong-yet-compassionate leader-types.
3. Chubs, The Darkest Minds. I simply adore smart, loyal friends.
2. Minho, The Maze Runner. All of the Minho scenes are my absolute favorites.
1. Peeta Mellark, The Hunger Games. Because Peeta rocks and I don’t even care about arguments that say different.