Welcome to Throwback Thursday, a weekly meme hosted by The Housework Can Wait and Never Too Fond of Books!
It’s the nature of book blogging to focus mainly on new releases, but there are thousands of great books out there that haven’t seen the “New Releases” shelf in years. We hope to be able to bring attention to some older titles that may not be at the top of the current bestseller list, but still deserve a spot in your To-Be-Read pile.
You don’t have to be a book blogger to participate! You can put up a Throwback Thursday post on your non-bookish blog; or if you don’t have a blog at all, just use the comments to tell us about a book you remember fondly.
Here’s how it works:
1. Pick any book released more than 5 years ago. Adult, YA, Children’s; doesn’t matter. Any great book will do.
2. Write up a short summary of the book (include the title, author, and cover art) and an explanation of why you love it. Make sure to link back to The Housework Can Wait and Never Too Fond of Books in your post.
3. Link up your post at The Housework Can Wait or Never Too Fond of Books.
4. Visit as many blogs as you can, reminisce about books you loved, and discover some “new” books for your TBR list!
Feel free to grab the Throwback Thursday button code from the sidebar to use in your posts.
Thanks for participating, and we look forward to seeing which books you choose to remember!
My Throwback this week is…
Time Blender by Michael Dorn
Guys, this recommendation is pretty much exclusively for fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation. So if that’s not you, sorry. Also, if that’s not you, what’s wrong with you?
Just kidding. Mostly.
Anyway. For those of you who are interested…Michael Dorn wrote a book.
Michael Dorn. Wrote. A book.
And the premise is, more or less, Black Indiana Jones + TIME TRAVEL. Worf wrote a time travel book featuring Black Indiana Jones. Let’s all just bask in the gloriousness of the fact that this book exists.
I read this when a friend gave it to me as a [semi] gag birthday gift in high school. I thought it was an appropriate pick for today for two reasons:
1) Today is my birthday, so I thought it was appropriate that I feature a book I got as a birthday present when I turned 17. No, I’m not going to tell you how old I am today. Older than 17. That’s all you’re getting.
2) [I was going to mention how much I love Worf and Star Trek: TNG, and how I can do what I want because it’s my birthday, then I realized that’s basically just reason 1 again.]
It is not great literature or mind-blowing sci-fi. It ends with a big “TO BE CONTINUED” and it was never continued. And it’s been a few years, but I think it may actually end on a literal cliffhanger. As in, a person hanging off a cliff. So be warned about that one.
But it’s a fun quick read (I’ve read far worse sci-fi), the premise is really amusing, and it was written by my favorite Klingon. It entertained me immensely, and now if I ever meet Michael Dorn, I can say I read his book. And that’s really all I needed.
Oh, also, ALSO, this. Which has nothing to do with this book, except, WORF.
This is a Blog Hop! Link up your Throwback Thursday posts below!